VOCs are emitted into the air as soon as the cans of the product are opened, when each coat is applied with a brush, and again when the stains are drying. Harmful vapors are harmful to the respiratory system and can mix with other air pollutants and contribute to smog. Long-term exposure can also cause wood stain poisoning. This more severe level of exposure can cause a burning sensation, blurred vision, and collapse.
In this case, seek medical attention right away. If the person inhaled the poison, take the person to get fresh air right away. Many wood dyes and finishes emit toxic chemicals that build up in the home and can have serious health consequences. If you used a rag to apply wood stain or to wipe off excess dye, you should leave the rag in a horizontal position to dry, otherwise it could burn spontaneously.
This makes water-based wood stain a viable option if you want to reduce the risk of exposure during application. This all sounds scary, but the risks are minimal since wood dye is used in a well-ventilated area. Second, wood dyes are formulated to meet FDA food safety regulations, but are not tested for the actual designation. Ultimately, the stain is covered with another finish, and even if it wasn't, given a full cure time, the stains should be OK to come into contact with food.
But water-based wood dye contains no hazardous binders than traditional oil-based wood dyes and is therefore significantly less toxic as a result. Wood dye vapors are harmful to human health, but there are things you can do to avoid jeopardizing your health and safety. They don't have the strong smell of traditional wood dyes and don't use the same toxic ingredients, making them valuable to all areas of the house. Ventilation reduces the concentration of vapors in the air, making wood dye safer for the consumer.
This is even more important when the stain is drying because VOCs can enter the air as the stain evaporates. Most wood dyes are not tested for food safety and therefore cannot be labeled as food-safe, but are manufactured in accordance with FDA regulations. While most wood dyes are safe for minor or interior applications, they have a very strong odor that is irritating. The harmful substances in wood dyes are hydrocarbons or substances that contain only carbon and hydrogen.